- Faculty Research
- Atkinson, Mary Layton. “Gender and Policy Agendas in the Post-War House.” Forthcoming in Policy Studies Journal.
- Barth, Thomas J. "Escaping the Vines of the Ivory Tower: Reflections of an Engaged Professor." Journal of Engagement and Community Scholarship. Forthcoming
- Md Momin Al Aziz, Md Nazmus Sadat, Dima Alhadid, Shuang Wang, Xiaoqing Jiang, Cheryl L. Brown, and Norman Mohammed, “Privacy-Preserving Techniques of Genomic Data—A Survey,” Briefings in Bioinformatics November 2017: 1-9.
- Carman, J. G. & Fredericks, K. A. (Forthcoming). Applications of social network analysis in evaluation: Challenges, suggestions, and opportunities for the future. Canadian Journal of Evaluation
- Chattopadhyay, Jacqueline. “State Health Insurance Regulation and Self-Employment Rates after the Great Recession: The Role of Guaranteed Issue Mandates.” Forthcoming at Economic Development Quarterly.
- Chattopadhyay, Jacqueline. 2018. “Is the Affordable Care Act Cultivating a Cross-Class Constituency? Income, Partisanship, and a Proposal for Tracing the Contingent Nature of Positive Policy Feedback Effects.” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 43(1): 19-67. Advance access version published online in 2017.
- Douglas, James W. “Maintaining Higher Taxes and Spending More with the Line-Item Veto: Uncommon Events that Sting". Forthcoming in Public Budgeting & Finance.
- Raudla, Ringa, and James W. Douglas. 2017. “Cost Accounting in European Countries.” In Cost Accounting in Government: Theory and Practice. Editor: Zachary Mohr. New York, NY: Routledge: 115-132.
- Bottia, M., Mickelson, R., Jason Giersch, Stearns, E., & Moller, S. (2017). “The Role of High School Racial Composition and Opportunities to Learn in Students’ STEM College Participation,” Journal of Research in Science Teaching.
- Jason Giersch & Dong, C. (2017). “Required Civics Courses, Civics Exams, and Voter Turnout,” Social Science Journal.
- Knight, Amber. 2017. "Disability and the Meaning of Reproductive Liberty." Politics, Groups, and Identities 5 (1): 67-83.
- Seyeditbari, Armin, Sara Levens, Cherie Maestas, Samira Shaikh, James Igoe Walsh, Wlodek Zadrozny, Christine Danis, and Onah P. Thompson. 2017. Cross Corpus Emotion Classification Using Survey Data. Proceedings of the Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of Behavior, pp. 152-156.
- Piatak, J., Mohr, Z. & Leland, S. (forthcoming) Bureaucratic accountability in third-party governance: Experimental evidence of blame attribution during times of budgetary crisis, Public Administration.
- Piatak, J.S., Romzek, B.S., LeRoux, K.M., & Johnston, J.M. (2018). Managing Goal Conflict in Public Service Delivery Networks: Does Accountability Move Up and Down or Side to Side? Public Performance & Management Review, 41(1): 152-176.
- Piatak, J.S. (2017). Sector Switching in Good Times and in Bad: Are Public Sector Employees Less Likely to Change Sectors? Public Personnel Management, 46(4): 327-341.
- Walsh, James Igoe. Forthcoming. The Rise of Targeted Killings. Journal of Strategic Studies.
- Walsh, James Igoe, Justin M. Conrad, Beth Elise Whitaker, and Katelin Hudak. Forthcoming. Financing Rebellion: Introducing the Rebel Contraband Dataset. Journal of Peace Research.
- Lemieux, Anthony, Erin Kearns, Victor Asal, and James Igoe Walsh. Forthcoming. Support for Political Mobilization, Protest, and Terrorism in Egypt and Morocco: An Online Experimental Study. Dynamics of Asymmetric Conflict.
- Gregory Weeks, “Civilian Inattention and Democratization: The Chilean Military and Political Transition in the 1930s,” Canadian Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Studies 43, 1 (2018): 1-17.
- Whitaker, Beth Elise. 2017. “Migration within Africa and Beyond.” African Studies Review 60(2): 209-220.
- Ladam, Christina, Jeffrey J. Harden, and Jason H. Windett. “Prominent Role Models: High Profile Female Politicians and the Emergence of Women as Candidates for Public Office.” Forthcoming at American Journal of Political Science.
Book Chapters in 2017
- Knight, Amber. 2017. "Feminism, Disability, and the Democratic Classroom." In Negotiating Disability: Disclosure and Higher Education, edited by Stephanie Kerschbaum, Laura Eisenman, and James Jones (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press).
- Kropf, Martha and Holly Whisman. 2018. “Provisional Votes: An Election Reform to Count More Votes.” In Todd Donovan, ed. Changing How America Votes. Roman and Littlefield
- Mohr, Z.T. (2017). A Framework for Cost Accounting Systems in Government. In Z. Mohr (ed.) Cost Accounting in Government: Theory and Applications (1-26). New York, NY. Routledge.
- Mohr, Z.T. & Rivenbark, W.C. (2017). Contextualizing Cost Accounting in Government from a Historical Perspective. In Z. Mohr (ed.) Cost Accounting in Government: Theory and Applications (26-46). New York, NY. Routledge.
- Pope, J.V. & Mohr, Z.T. (2017). Cost Accounting for Rates and User Fees. In Z. Mohr (ed.) Cost Accounting in Government: Theory and Applications (66-81). New York, NY. Routledge
- Roeger, Katie L., Amy S. Blackwood, and Sarah L. Pettijohn. 2017. "The Nonprofit Sector and Its Place in the National Economy. In The Nature of the Nonprofit Sector," In The Nature of the Nonprofit Sector, 3rd ed, eds. J. Steven Ott and Lisa Dicke. Westview Press
Other Peer-Reviewed in 2015
- Walsh, James Igoe and Marcus Schulzke, The Ethics of Drone Strikes: Does Reducing the Cost of Conflict Encourage War? Strategic Studies Institute, Army War College.
Funded External Grant Proposed in 2015
- Suzanne Leland, “MPA Fellowship,” City of Charlotte/Chamber of Commerce $20,689
- Suzanne Leland, “Public Service Fellowship,” Charlotte Works $20,689
- Jim Walsh, “Natural Resources Crime and Armed Conflict,” DoD Army Research Office $7,313
- Atkinson, Mary Layton. 2017. Combative Politics: The Media and Public Perceptions of Lawmaking. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Conrad, Justin. Gambling and War: Risk, Reward, and Chance in International Conflict. 2017. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press.
- Eric S. Heberlig, Suzanne M. Leland, and David Swindell. American Cities and the Politics of Party Conventions (Albany: Suny Albany Press, 2017).
- Mohr, Z. (Ed.). (2017) Cost Accounting in Government: Theory and Applications. New York. Routledge.
Peer-Reviewed Articles in 2015
- S.J. Niggel and W. Brandon “Social Determinants of Health and Community Needs: Implications for Health Legacy Foundations,” Health Affairs 33 (11; November 2014): 2072-2076.
- Justin Conrad, "Going Abroad: Transnational Solicitation and Contention by Ethnopolitical Organizations" (with Victor Asal and Peter White). 2014. International Organization 68(4) 945-978.
- Justin Conrad, "Why Some Autocrats are Terrorized While Others are Not" (with Courtenay R. Conrad and Joseph K. Young). 2014. International Studies Quarterly 58(3): 539-549.
- Justin Conrad, "International Spoiling, Cooperation and Transnational Terrorism" (with James Igoe Walsh). 2014. International Interactions 40(4): 453-476.
- Eric Heberlig, “US House Incumbent Fundraising and Spending in a Post-Citizens United (and Post-McCutcheon) World.” Political Science Quarterly. (With Bruce Larson)
- Kimball, Davd C. and Martha Kropf. Forthcoming. "Cumulative Voting: The Case of Port Chester, New York." Social Sciences Quarterly.
- Heberlig, E, Leland, S. M., & Swindell, D. Forthcoming. The Disruption Costs of Post-9-11 Security Measures and Cities' Bids for Presidential Nominating Conventions." Journal of Urban Affairs. (1)
- Smirnova, O. V., & Leland, S. M. (2014). Cutback Management during the Great Recession The Case of Transit Agencies and Contracting Out. State and Local Government Review, 46(4), 272-281. (1)
- Smirnova, O. V., & Leland, S. M. (2014). Public Transportation and Contracting Out. Public Works Management & Policy, 19(4), 358-364.(1)
- Maestas, Cherie D., Matthew Buttice, and Walter J. Stone 2014. “Extracting Wisdom from Experts and Small Crowds: Strategies for Improving Informant-based Measures of Political Concepts” Political Analysis. 22 (3): 354-373
- Eckles, David L., Cindy D. Kam, Cherie D. Maestas, Brian K. Schaffner 2014. “Risk Attitudes and the Incumbency Advantage” Political Behavior 46(4):741
- Zach Mohr, “An Analysis of the Purposes of Cost Accounting in Large US Cities” Public Budgeting and Finance. Forthcoming.
- Zach Mohr, “Taking Stock: Assessing and Improving Performance Budgeting Theory and Practice” (with Alfred TK Ho and Y Lu) Public Performance and Management Review. Forthcoming.
- Zach Mohr, “The Effect of Rules on Job Satisfaction” 2014. (with Leisha DeHart-Davis and Randall S. Davis) Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory. Advance online publication
- Piatak, J.S. (Forthcoming). Altruism by Job Sector: Can Public Sector Employees Lead the Way in Rebuilding Social Capital? Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, first published online April 2, 2014
- Szmer, John, Robert K. Christensen, and Erin B. Kaheny. Forthcoming. "Gender, Race, and Dissensus on State Supreme Courts." Social Science Quarterly.
- Kaheny, Erin B., John Szmer, Michael Hansen, and Kate Scheurer. Forthcoming. “High Court Recruitment of Female Clerks: A Comparative Analysis of the U.S. Supreme Court and the Supreme Court of Canada.” Justice System Journal.
- Szmer, John, Erin B. Kaheny, and Robert K. Christensen. Forthcoming. “Taking a Dip in the Supreme Court Clerk Pool: Gender-Based Discrepancies in Clerk Selection.” Marquette Law Review.
- Asal, Victor, Michael Findley, James A. Piazza, and James Igoe Walsh. Forthcoming. Oil, Political Exclusion, and Ethnic Armed Conflict. Journal of Conflict Resolution.
- Conrad, Courtenay, Justin Conrad, James A. Piazza, and James Igoe Walsh. Forthcoming. Who Tortures the Terrorists? Foreign Policy Analysis.
- Walsh, James Igoe. 2014. Big Data, Insider Threats, and International Intelligence Sharing. CTX 4:1, 49-57.
- Whitaker, Beth Elise and Jason Giersch. 2015. "Political Competition and Attitudes towards Immigration in Africa." Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies.
Funded External Grant Proposed in 2014
- Jim Walsh, “Territorial Control and Armed Conflict” Dept of Defense $123,576
- Beth Whitaker, “APSA Africa Workshop 2015 on Conflict and Political Violence” American Political Science Association $230,000
- Suzanne Leland, “MPA Graduate Student Fellowship City of Concord Budget Office” City of Concord $8,932
- Jim Walsh, “The Ethics of Drone Strikes Does Reducing the Cost of Conflict Encourage War” Army War College $13,593
- Maureen Brown and Zach Mohr, “Acquisition in a World of Joint Capabilities: Methods for Understanding Cross-Organizational Network Performance.” Dept of Defense Naval Supply Systems Command $116,389