- Chattopadhyay, Jacqueline, “Are Press Depictions of Affordable Care Act Beneficiaries Favorable to Policy Durability?” Politics and the Life Sciences 34, 2 (2015): 7-43.
- Conrad, Justin and Kevin Greene (note: a POLS undergrad). “Differentiation and the Severity of Terrorist Attacks.” Journal of Politics 77, 2 (2015): 546-561.
- Douglas, James W., Ringa Raudla, and Roger E. Hartley, “Shifting Constellations of Actors and their Influence on Policy Diffusion: A Study of the Diffusion of Drug Courts.” Policy Studies Journal 43, 4 (2015): 484-511.
- Raudla, Ringa, James W. Douglas, Tiina Randma-Liiv, and Riin Savi, “The Impact of Fiscal Crisis on Decision-Making Processes in European Governments: Dynamics of a Centralization Cascade,” Public Administration Review 75, 6: 842-852.
- Raudla, Ringa, James W. Douglas, Kulli Taro, and Cherlin Agu. “The Impact of Performance Audit on Public Sector Organizations: The Case of Estonia.” Public Organization Review published online March 7, 2015.
- Bottia, M., Jason Giersch, R.A. Mickelson, E. Stearns, and S. Moller, “Distributive Justice Antecedents of Race and Gender Disparities in First-Year College Performance,” forthcoming in Social Justice Research
- Giersch, Jason, “New Trends in Academic Achivement Among Teachers,” Journal of Applied Educational and Policy Research 1, 1 (2015)
- Whitaker, Beth and Jason Giersch, “Political Competition and Attitudes Toward Immigration: Evidence from Africa,” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 41, 10 (2015): 1536-1557.
- Read, D. and Suzanne Leland, “A Gendered Perspective on Local Economic Development: Differences in the Perceived Importance of Public Service in the Business Recruitment Process,” forthcoming in Administration and Society
- Smirnova, O.V., Suzanne Leland and W. Yousef, “Managing for Performance Measurement and Monitoring of Contracts in the Transit Industry,” forthcoming in Journal of Procurement.
- Mohr, Zachary. “Performance Measurement and Cost Accounting: Are They Competing or Complementary Systems of Control?” forthcoming at Public Administration Review
- Piatak, Jaclyn S. “Public Service Motivation, Prosocial Behaviors, and Career Ambitions,” forthcoming at International Journal of Manpower
- Piatak, Jaclyn S., “Understanding the Implementation of Medicaid and Medicare: Social Construction and Historical Context,” forthcoming at Administration & Society.
- Szmer, John, Donald R. Songer, and Jennifer Barnes Bowie. “Party Capability and the U.S. Court of Appeals: Understanding Why the ‘Haves’ Win.” Forthcoming in Journal of Law & Courts.
- Walsh, James Igoe. “Autonomous Weapons and Political Accountability,” forthcoming at Research and Politics.
- Whitaker, Beth Elise and Salma Inyangi, “Diaspora Voting and Ethnic Politics in Kenya,” forthcoming in Afrique Contemporaine.
- Whitaker, Beth Elise, “Playing the Immigration Card: The Politics of Exclusion in Côte d’Ivoire and Ghana,” Commonwealth & Comparative Politics 53, 3 (2015): 274-293.
- Weeks, Gregory, “Fighting to Close the School of the Americas: Unintended Consequences of Successful Activism,” forthcoming in Journal of Human Rights
- Leland, Suzanne and O.V. Smirnova, “Contracting Decisions.” In R. Schick (ed.). Government Contracting: A Public Solutions Handbook (New York: Routledge, 2015).
- Maestas, Cherie D. and Travis Braidwood. 2015. “Running with Uncertainty: Candidate Emergence after Florida Redistricting.” In ed. Seth McKee Jigsaw Puzzle Politics in the Sunshine State. Gainesville, FL: University of Florida Press.
- Walsh, James Igoe and Marcus Schulzke, The Ethics of Drone Strikes: Does Reducing the Cost of Conflict Encourage War? Strategic Studies Institute, Army War College.
Funded External Grant Proposed in 2015
- Suzanne Leland, “MPA Fellowship,” City of Charlotte/Chamber of Commerce $20,689
- Suzanne Leland, “Public Service Fellowship,” Charlotte Works $20,689
- Jim Walsh, “Natural Resources Crime and Armed Conflict,” DoD Army Research Office $7,313
- Bowie, Jennifer Barnes, Donald R. Songer, and John Szmer. 2014. The View from the Bench and Chambers: Examining Judicial Process and Decision Making on the U. S. Courts of Appeals. (University of Virginia Press Constitutionalism and Democracy series).
- Gregory Weeks, Understanding Latin American Politics (New York: Pearson, 2014).
- S.J. Niggel and W. Brandon “Social Determinants of Health and Community Needs: Implications for Health Legacy Foundations,” Health Affairs 33 (11; November 2014): 2072-2076.
- Justin Conrad, "Going Abroad: Transnational Solicitation and Contention by Ethnopolitical Organizations" (with Victor Asal and Peter White). 2014. International Organization 68(4) 945-978.
- Justin Conrad, "Why Some Autocrats are Terrorized While Others are Not" (with Courtenay R. Conrad and Joseph K. Young). 2014. International Studies Quarterly 58(3): 539-549.
- Justin Conrad, "International Spoiling, Cooperation and Transnational Terrorism" (with James Igoe Walsh). 2014. International Interactions 40(4): 453-476.
- Eric Heberlig, “US House Incumbent Fundraising and Spending in a Post-Citizens United (and Post-McCutcheon) World.” Political Science Quarterly. (With Bruce Larson)
- Kimball, Davd C. and Martha Kropf. Forthcoming. "Cumulative Voting: The Case of Port Chester, New York." Social Sciences Quarterly.
- Heberlig, E, Leland, S. M., & Swindell, D. Forthcoming. The Disruption Costs of Post-9-11 Security Measures and Cities' Bids for Presidential Nominating Conventions." Journal of Urban Affairs. (1)
- Smirnova, O. V., & Leland, S. M. (2014). Cutback Management during the Great Recession The Case of Transit Agencies and Contracting Out. State and Local Government Review, 46(4), 272-281. (1)
- Smirnova, O. V., & Leland, S. M. (2014). Public Transportation and Contracting Out. Public Works Management & Policy, 19(4), 358-364.(1)
- Maestas, Cherie D., Matthew Buttice, and Walter J. Stone 2014. “Extracting Wisdom from Experts and Small Crowds: Strategies for Improving Informant-based Measures of Political Concepts” Political Analysis. 22 (3): 354-373
- Eckles, David L., Cindy D. Kam, Cherie D. Maestas, Brian K. Schaffner 2014. “Risk Attitudes and the Incumbency Advantage” Political Behavior 46(4):741
- Zach Mohr, “An Analysis of the Purposes of Cost Accounting in Large US Cities” Public Budgeting and Finance. Forthcoming.
- Zach Mohr, “Taking Stock: Assessing and Improving Performance Budgeting Theory and Practice” (with Alfred TK Ho and Y Lu) Public Performance and Management Review. Forthcoming.
- Zach Mohr, “The Effect of Rules on Job Satisfaction” 2014. (with Leisha DeHart-Davis and Randall S. Davis) Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory. Advance online publication
- Piatak, J.S. (Forthcoming). Altruism by Job Sector: Can Public Sector Employees Lead the Way in Rebuilding Social Capital? Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, first published online April 2, 2014
- Szmer, John, Robert K. Christensen, and Erin B. Kaheny. Forthcoming. "Gender, Race, and Dissensus on State Supreme Courts." Social Science Quarterly.
- Kaheny, Erin B., John Szmer, Michael Hansen, and Kate Scheurer. Forthcoming. “High Court Recruitment of Female Clerks: A Comparative Analysis of the U.S. Supreme Court and the Supreme Court of Canada.” Justice System Journal.
- Szmer, John, Erin B. Kaheny, and Robert K. Christensen. Forthcoming. “Taking a Dip in the Supreme Court Clerk Pool: Gender-Based Discrepancies in Clerk Selection.” Marquette Law Review.
- Asal, Victor, Michael Findley, James A. Piazza, and James Igoe Walsh. Forthcoming. Oil, Political Exclusion, and Ethnic Armed Conflict. Journal of Conflict Resolution.
- Conrad, Courtenay, Justin Conrad, James A. Piazza, and James Igoe Walsh. Forthcoming. Who Tortures the Terrorists? Foreign Policy Analysis.
- Walsh, James Igoe. 2014. Big Data, Insider Threats, and International Intelligence Sharing. CTX 4:1, 49-57.
- Whitaker, Beth Elise and Jason Giersch. 2015. "Political Competition and Attitudes towards Immigration in Africa." Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies.
Funded External Grant Proposed in 2014
- Jim Walsh, “Territorial Control and Armed Conflict” Dept of Defense $123,576
- Beth Whitaker, “APSA Africa Workshop 2015 on Conflict and Political Violence” American Political Science Association $230,000
- Suzanne Leland, “MPA Graduate Student Fellowship City of Concord Budget Office” City of Concord $8,932
- Jim Walsh, “The Ethics of Drone Strikes Does Reducing the Cost of Conflict Encourage War” Army War College $13,593
- Maureen Brown and Zach Mohr, “Acquisition in a World of Joint Capabilities: Methods for Understanding Cross-Organizational Network Performance.” Dept of Defense Naval Supply Systems Command $116,389